I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. This comes at no extra cost to you. All opinions are my own.
- With over 5,000 reviews on amazon, it’s no wonder the Haakaa manual breast pump made it to the top of my list for being one of the best breastfeeding products on the market. As a working mom, it was super important that I started storing breast milk before I returned to work. The Haakaa breast pump made saving and storing milk so easy!
- To use the pump all you have to do is suction it to your breast and sit back while the pump does all of the work for you! As you nurse baby on one breast, the pump is attached to the opposite breast catching all of the precious liquid gold that would have otherwise been lost during the letdown phase.
- This allows you to begin storing extra milk for a night out with your spouse or you can simply add it to your stash for when you head back to work.
- The Haakaa is also great for when you are on the go and find yourself feeling engorged. Keep it on your bedside table for the nighttime wake up calls. All in all if you are looking to breastfeed and pump at the same time, then this is the product for you!
- Did you know that most insurance companies will pay for your breast pump? That could mean you get your breast pump FREE through insurance! You can use a website like Aeroflow Breast Pumps which allows you to input your insurance information and begin shopping for a breast pump. The benefits of going through a website like this is that they contact your insurance company for you and streamline the process of searching for a breast pump that is covered by your insurance. I personally had a great experience with them when I ordered my breast pump! Head on over right now to get your application started!
- Once you find out if your insurance will cover a breast pump you get to start shopping! Yay! This is the fun part. First off you need to consider how often you will use the pump, if you need a battery powered pump, how quiet the pump will be, and if you want a closed or open system pump.
- If you plan on using a breast pump my biggest advice is to find a high quality one. I ended up deciding on the Spectra Baby S1 model. My main priorities for my pump was that it had to be a closed system (so much easier to clean and maintain), have a rechargeable battery, and have hospital strength double pumping capabilities. You can check out the S1 pump and compare it to other pumps here.
3. Nipple Cream
- Whether strictly feeding baby directly from the breast or using a pump, nipple butter is ESSENTIAL. During the early days of breastfeeding, your nipples will be getting a workout! It is so important to take care of one of your most sensitive areas.
- In my opinion the best nipple cream for breastfeeding is the Earth Mama Organic Nipple Butter. I love that this nipple butter is not only organic but is also free from petroleum, parabens and artificial fragrances and is vegan! Since it is so pure you can have peace of mind leaving it on as baby feeds.
- There are a ton of suggestions when it comes to maintaining a nutritious diet that supports both you and baby while breastfeeding. I know you may be struggling with self-doubt after giving birth. But trust me mama, now is not the time to start a crazy new diet. Give your body time to heal and show it some love while you focus on nourishing your precious baby.
- My top go-to meals and snacks included homemade lactation cookies (soooo good), savory oatmeal, Milkmaid Tea (I suggest this one), and a ton of water. Water is key ladies! Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
- Pro tip: To make the tea more palatable do yourself a favor and grab a box of County Peach Passion herbal tea. Brew one bag of milkmaid tea and one bag of the peach tea. Add sugar and make sure to drink it ice cold!
- Go ahead and put all of your underwired bras in storage for the foreseeable future. Underwire bras have the potential to cause clogged ducts which could lead to Mastitis.
- Instead of underwire find a comfy new breastfeeding friendly bra! The clips that attach the pad to the bra strap are so convenient and offer easy access when you are constantly feeding a newborn (or a stubborn 12 month old.)
- Pro-tip! If you are a pumping mama, do yourself a favor and buy this! The Bravado Designs Hands-Free Nursing Bra accessory turns any regular nursing bra into a hands-free pumping bra! This bra accessory was a true life savior when I pumped at work.
6. Support System
- It is so important to have a support system in place. There will be times when you want to give up! When you are up every hour throughout the night you will want to give up! Now more than ever you will need to lean on your support system. If you have a close support team let them clean or cook dinner. Your focus (especially during the first few months) is to establish your bond with your newborn.
- Before I was discharged from the hospital after giving birth to my daughter, I had a nurse who guided me as I learned how to breastfeed Grace. She said one thing to me that stuck and helped me continue on my breastfeeding journey. She told me that if I could make it through the first two weeks then I would have passed one of the biggest hurdles. Guess what? She was right! Her words gave me hope that I could make it. Even if it was simply one day at a time.
- Are you looking for a supportive network of like minded women? You can join my growing tribe of Mama’s who lift each other up on Instagram here at Filled_withgrace! Not a mama yet? That’s okay! I would love to have you become a part of our family anyway.
7. Professional Help
- There will be times when you can follow every guide, get every “must-have”, and abide by all the tried and true rules and still struggle with breastfeeding your child. If you find yourself in this position, please reach out to a professional. Many hospitals have a lactation consultant on staff that you can reach out to when you are struggling or have questions.
- There are also tons of great resources including online resources for help. Remember Spectra Baby? They have certified lactation consultants that are available for a lactation consultation. Not only do they offer consultation services but they also live stream every Wednesday on Facebook and Instagram about a variety breastfeeding topics and give valuable breastfeeding tips. Just another reason why I love the Spectra brand so much.
- Another online breastfeeding resource you can find is a La Leche League group. You can find a group near you here! The mission of the La Leche League is “to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother.”
I hope these 7 breastfeeding tips and products help you on your journey. I have used each and every one of these personally. There is so much more I have to share with you, but for now remember to live each day presently.